President Volodymyr Zelensky signed the bill No. 1008 on judicial reform, which gave rise to judicial reform.
The bill provides:
- reduction of the number of judges of the Supreme Court by half - from 200 to 100;
- introduces a new procedure for forming the High Qualifications Commission of Judges of Ukraine;
- proposes the High Council of Justice to establish commission on integrity and ethics, expands the positions subjected to lustration, including the High Council of Justice, the High qualification commission of judges of Ukraine and other judicial authorities, previously not subjected to lustration;
- dissolves the current composition of the High Qualifications Commission of Judges of Ukraine,
- decreases the quantitative composition of the High Qualifications Commission of Judges of Ukraine from 16 to 12,
- envisages a new procedure for the election of members of the High Qualifications Commission of Judges of Ukraine with the participation of international experts.
October 16, the bill # 1008 proposed by President Zelensky was approved in the second reading. It was voted in favor only by Servant of the People parliamentary group.
A day before its approval in the first reading, a number of provisions of the bill were severely criticized by Annika Weideman, Deputy Head of the EU Delegation to Ukraine, and Roman Vashchuk, Ambassador of Canada to Ukraine.
The bill was later criticized by the Council of Europe. In particular, Marija Pejčinović Burić, the Secretary General of the Council of Europe, noted that it could seriously damage the independence of the judicial system.
Wikiinvestigation project detected the pressure on the corruption whistleblower. The EU-funded project of crowdsourcing investigations of corruption Wikiinvestigation detected the first pressure on the corruption whistleblower after the Amendments to the Law of Ukraine ‘On Corruption Prevention’ Concerning Corruption Whistleblowers came into force on January 1, 2020. Following an investigation “Poor our Officials or How […]
Representatives of Innovation and Development Foundation participated in the discussion of the amendments to the Resolution that establish the procedure of the competition rule in the election to the Public Council under the NACP.
The Head of the NACP Olexandr Novikov introduced the team of his deputies - Ivan Presniakov and Roman Sukhotovets.