President Volodymyr Zelensky signed the bill No. 1008 on judicial reform, which gave rise to judicial reform.
The bill provides:
- reduction of the number of judges of the Supreme Court by half - from 200 to 100;
- introduces a new procedure for forming the High Qualifications Commission of Judges of Ukraine;
- proposes the High Council of Justice to establish commission on integrity and ethics, expands the positions subjected to lustration, including the High Council of Justice, the High qualification commission of judges of Ukraine and other judicial authorities, previously not subjected to lustration;
- dissolves the current composition of the High Qualifications Commission of Judges of Ukraine,
- decreases the quantitative composition of the High Qualifications Commission of Judges of Ukraine from 16 to 12,
- envisages a new procedure for the election of members of the High Qualifications Commission of Judges of Ukraine with the participation of international experts.
October 16, the bill # 1008 proposed by President Zelensky was approved in the second reading. It was voted in favor only by Servant of the People parliamentary group.
A day before its approval in the first reading, a number of provisions of the bill were severely criticized by Annika Weideman, Deputy Head of the EU Delegation to Ukraine, and Roman Vashchuk, Ambassador of Canada to Ukraine.
The bill was later criticized by the Council of Europe. In particular, Marija Pejčinović Burić, the Secretary General of the Council of Europe, noted that it could seriously damage the independence of the judicial system.
The EU-funded project “Supporting prevention of corruption and investigation through civic engagement on a local level” (WikiInvestigation) invites active Ukrainians to participate in a focus group “”Public Opinion Survey on Understanding Corruption in Ukraine”. Considering situation with the spread of COVID-19, the focus group will be held online. To participate in the focus group, you […]
September 5 marked one year since the beginning of the procedural activity of the High Anti-Corruption Court of Ukraine. “Society demands punishment of corrupt officials, especially top government officials, so the work of the High Anti-Corruption Court is extremely important and is always under public observation”, says Liudmyla Arakhmia, the expert of the Innovation and […]
July 23, the crowdsourcing investigative platform WikiInvestigation launched an investigation into two cybercriminals who are wanted for securities fraud conspiracy, wire fraud conspiracy, computer fraud conspiracy, wire fraud and computer fraud. The author of the investigation “Boys for a million. What do we know about hackers for whom the United States promises a million dollars?” […]
The prosecutor of the Poltava Regional Prosecutor’s Office Roman Galiuk didn’t pass the interview during the attestation of prosecutors of regional prosecutor’s offices. This information became known after the results of interviews of prosecutors of regional prosecutor’s offices were published on the website of the Office of the Prosecutor General. WikiInvestigation`s investigation “Prosecutorial Landlords. Part […]